Sunday, November 13, 2016

Home

“I feel home,
When I see the faces that remember my own.
I feel home,
When I'm chillin outside with the people I know.
I feel home,
And that's just what I feel.
Home to me is reality,
And all I need is something real.”

“I Feel Home” by O.A.R

Often in books and movies, the main character heads home when there is a major conflict in his/her life.  Home is usually the childhood house the character grew up in where his/her parents still live.  There is something peaceful about a place that holds many of our memories with friends and family.  Memories of the “best days ever” and memories of overcoming heartbreak.  Our childhood pets may still be there or at least pictures and memories of them. 

Growing up my family moved about every 3-4 years due to my dad’s job.  I was born in Nashville, but soon moved to Pennsylvania, Illinois, Ohio, and now reside in Texas.  It was definitely hard to feel settled when you knew that a change was sure to come.  It was hard to find my home.

Knoxville, Tennessee at that time was the only constant in my life.  It is where the majority of my family lived and still do.  We would visit about every 6 months or more often.  No matter where my physical home was, I would always find myself at home in Knoxville. 

Recently, Duke and I went to a UT (University of TENNESSEE) watch party in Plano.  It was the BIG GAME of the year – the only one that matters in my brother’s opinion – the Florida Gators.  It was not a pretty game for us, but we pulled it out at the end.  The watch party went crazy – Rocky Top blaring, “I said it’s great to be a Tennessee Vol” being chanted, high fives all around.  And in that moment – I felt home.

Your home may be a house, apartment, other dwelling place, city, state, country, mountain top, shoreline, or even a person or pet.  It is a place of rest and relaxation.  A place to “take your bra off” and just be yourself.  There is no one to be professional for.  There is no one there to judge you.  It is your escape and respite from the world around you.  Maybe you go there every day or maybe it is somewhere you haven’t been in a long time.  My suggestion to you is to return there whenever you can.  Take some time away from the daily toil and struggles of life and just be at home for a bit.  I find that when we are home often enough we seem to carry a bit of it with us even when we are far away.

Buzz Ya Later,


Whit

No comments:

Post a Comment