Saturday, August 27, 2016

Thumbs Up Guy

The first time I saw “Thumbs Up Guy” I was running outside of my parents’ neighborhood.  I can’t remember what season it was or what the weather was like.  I do know that I was on about a 3 or 4 mile run and not feeling so hot about myself.  I am an insecure runner.  I don’t “look” like a runner.  I try to use the reactions of people who don’t know me when I tell them that I am a long distance runner to fuel me, but sometimes they just weigh me down.  I am not slow, but I am not fast either.  Give me a distance and I will complete it.  Just don’t tell me how fast it has to get done.  I run at my own pace.

Back to “Thumbs Up Guy” - He is an older gentleman.  Dark rimmed glasses.  Wears a sweatband on his head.  And you can tell looking at him that he has probably been a runner all his life.  Or at least he has kept some kind of workout routine throughout his life. 

When I am out running, I try to look up and smile or say hello when I pass someone.  I don’t remember, but I probably just looked up and smiled as I passed this older gentleman.  He smiled and gave me a thumbs up.  That thumbs up said a thousand words.  From it I heard –

You got this!
Keep going!
I am proud of you!

He didn’t say a word, but as soon as I saw that thumbs up I was motivated!  I felt like some stranger was supporting me and believing in me regardless of how slow I was going or what my fitness level was. 

To make that special “meeting” even better, I saw the same guy at the gym months later.  I was getting off the elliptical and as I was walking back to wipe down my machine, thumbs up guy is a few machines down, looking at me, smiling, and giving me a *guess guess guess* THUMBS UP!  I don’t know if he recognized me or was just giving his usual support.  I bet he gives a lot of people thumbs up and that is awesome!  I can’t imagine how many people he has encouraged with his nonverbal gesture.

In summation, give someone a THUMBS up today.  Maybe your THUMBS UP is a smile, compliment, a hello, etc.  Whatever it is - give it!  You could be supporting, encouraging, and motivating someone without even realizing it.



Buzz Ya Later,
Whit

No comments:

Post a Comment