Saturday, September 3, 2016

Stop and Smell the Roses (aka dance)

Dallas Rock N Roll 2014 was the second half marathon that I ever completed.  One cool thing about each Rock N Roll race is that there are bands/DJs/music along the course every few miles.  The race starts near the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center and within the first mile or two heads into Deep Ellum.  I love running through Deep Ellum.  Don’t worry mom – only during the day and with like 1,000 of my best friends.  I like looking at all the cool shops/restaurants/bars/clubs when I jog by.  Seeing new places that I imagine I will go to some night out when I am feeling 22 again (which rarely ever happens).  Bed = 9 sometimes 8 sometimes 7...  The first band is typically located near the Deep Ellum Dog Park.  I have never been there, but looks super cute!  I don’t have a dog and would probably look odd if I brought my cats…

Around mile 8ish (totally guessing here) there is a hill.  I remember it as basically the BIGGEST HILL EVER! But for people who live where it is actually hilly, imagine a small incline.  We are all trucking it up this hill and halfway up there is a DJ.  In front of the DJ is a woman totally getting into it.  She has stopped running and she is just dancing, smiling, having the best time.  All I can think is –
 
What about her finish time?!?! 

Doesn’t she just want to get this over with? 

How can she dance at a time like this???

ARE WE THERE YET?!

I could not imagine why anyone would want to prolong the process of finishing 13.1 miles unless they were injured or dying!

At the same time…I was kind of jealous.

I have never been a “stop and smell the roses” type.  Always GO GO GO!  If you have ever seen me walk through the main hallway of the school I teach at (BTW - it is L    O    N    G), I basically walk at a race pace.  Gotta get there! NOW!

In preschool, I used to ask my teacher what we were doing next, so I would know what was coming.  When I was in 6th grade, I was researching colleges.  While eating lunch, I imagine what I will eat for dinner.  Anytime there is a baby article on BuzzFeed I look at it and nope…not pregnant.  There is nothing wrong with planning ahead.  My issue is I struggle to enjoy the moment because I am so focused on the future.  I am a planner and sometimes not in a good way.

Not to get morbid or depressing, but sometimes I have to remind myself – the future may not happen.  I do this to try to get myself to focus on the now. My only regret about anything in my past is not enjoying all of the amazing moments that have been a part of my life.  Most of the time, I don’t even recognize how amazing they are until they are over.  It might seem crazy/odd, but it is ok to stop during something fantastic and say – “This is an amazing moment!”.

I feel like that is what that woman was thinking while dancing next to the DJ.  She wasn’t thinking about how far away the finish line was.  She realized –

How cool is it that there is a DJ playing in the middle of Dallas (during the day)?!

There are tons of spectators cheering us on.

I will finish those last few miles in a bit.

This is an amazing moment and I’m going to dance!

Life is short.  As adults, I think we all know that by now.  Enjoy the present.  And in the words of Lee Ann Womack “I hope you dance”.



Yep.  I was born with a unibrow.  #darkhairdontcare



A little elementary artwork.


#thosebangs



Buzz Ya Later,


Whit

1 comment: