Saturday, March 25, 2017

Moving

While I was growing up, my family moved every 3-4 years.  We never moved across town. It was always across state lines.  Sometimes we moved a few hours away and other times we moved a plane flight away.  I am Nashville, Tennessee born and not raised.  I visit Knoxville, Tennessee yearly because I still have family there, but we moved away from Nashville when I was 4.  Next up was a town outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  PA saw me growing up from ages 4-7.  I remember a lot of snow and living on a big hill.  PA is the only place that I have yet to return to since moving.  I would love to have the chance to go back and visit.  After PA, we moved to a small town outside of Decatur, Illinois.  The only “small town” I have ever lived in.  A place where you could send your kiddos to a park a mile or more away from your house and not have to worry about them.  A place where small/out of date schools did not mean lack of education.  IL saw me from ages 7 to 11.  Our next move was to a town outside of Cincinnati, Ohio when I was in fourth grade.  In hindsight, I look back and acknowledge that I have learned from all the places I have lived, but besides Texas, Ohio shaped me the most and has had the deepest impact on my life.  Ohio saw me through 7th grade.  On May 4, 2002, I asked my mom if we were moving.  I asked her that all the time just to hear the sweet word “no”, but that day she just looked at me and I knew.  I remember looking in my elementary atlas to locate Dallas, TX.  Pretty sure the word “wow” came out of my mouth when I saw how far away it was.  Our farthest move yet. 

An art piece I did in 7th grade
I'm no artist, but I tried! :)

If you have ever moved, you know it has its pros and cons.  The process of packing up and moving is a pain, but having new digs to live in can be enjoyable.  Leaving friends behind and going somewhere you know no one is rough, especially as a kiddo.  I’m starting to think it may be even more difficult as an adult.  BUT it is great to make new friends and it forces you to step out of your comfort zone (especially for me as an introvert).

Moving made me who I am today.  Moving made my family stronger because we often only had each other.  Moving gave me new experiences with new people and new places.  Moving means that I find myself often longing to be somewhere else – just to stop by and talk to an old friend in person for a bit or to be able to visit a favorite restaurant or location.  But moving also means that my life is very full.  No matter where I am there always seems to be a “home” that is close.

In life moving doesn’t have to be a physical move, it can also mean moving on.  Your home may stay the same, but when you move on from something important in your life, you often have the same emotions that come with physically moving.  It is difficult.  It is scary.  The possibilities can seem daunting and exciting all at the same time.  You may also find when you look back that it is the best thing that could have happened to you. 

Do you need to make a move in life?  Maybe you need a new place to call home, something new to become passionate about, new friends that will help mold and shape you into who you want to be.  Maybe you need to move on from a relationship.  And my suggestion to you is to move into some “me time” before moving on with someone new.  It will be difficult/scary/risky, but from what moving has taught me – you won’t regret it. 

Buzz Ya Later,


Whit

No comments:

Post a Comment