Saturday, July 15, 2017

Music

Music has always been an important part of my life.  I grew up in a house that was rarely ever silent.  My dad would always have music playing on the weekends.  We would often wake up to “Hakuna Matata”.  Throughout the day Jim Brickman, Yanni, Nora Jones, etc. would be playing.  If my dad wasn’t playing music, my brother was - usually bringing something to the mix that wasn’t mainstream.

I played piano for a couple of years during elementary school – not my thing.  I switched to clarinet in 6th grade and played until I was a senior in high school.  If music wasn’t playing through some device around me, I was the one making it.
 
Last year there was a commercial (for what I don’t remember), but people were asked to put on headphones.  The person watching the commercial had no idea what they were listening to, but could only see the emotions on their faces.  There was laughter and tears.  Smiles and bliss.  Memories.  Music does that to you. 

Obviously if it is a sad song, it makes you sad and vice versa for happy, upbeat songs.  BUT your emotions connected to a song may have nothing to do with the lyrics or the musical accompaniment.  The song may bring you back to a time in your life – good or bad.  It may remind you of a person or place.  There are few moments in my life that do not have some musical connection. 

You probably have songs that calm you when you are stressed.  Songs that make you wanna dance.  Summer songs.  Winter songs.  Roll down the window and let your hair fly songs. 

Music is powerful. It’s good for the soul!

So next time you are feeling down OR on cloud nine.  Put on your jam.  Turn up the volume.  And let some good music wash over you. 

Buzz Ya Later,


Whit

No comments:

Post a Comment