Sunday, October 2, 2016

The Power of Yet

My favorite part of race day is…

THE DRIVE HOME!

I love sitting in the passenger seat sweaty, tired, reflective, and most of the time with a smile on my face.  When Duke and I are headed to a race (usually before the sun is up), I go through two phases.  I am usually VERY talkative at the beginning of the ride (coffee!) and then I become VERY quiet once we get closer.  During those quiet moments, I am NERVOUS!  There are a ton of thoughts racing through my mind…

Will we be able find a parking space?

Will we have to walk a long distance to the starting line?

Will it be super cold while we are waiting for the race to start?

Will it be super hot?

Will it rain?

Will there be enough porta potties?!?!?!?!?

But interspersed within those questions, fears, and panicking moments, I think about the ride home and I feel at peace.

I don’t know what will happen during the race--good, bad, or ugly.  But I do know that no matter what happens during the race, at some point, I will be back in that car on the way home and that thought calms me.

It is the power of YET that gets me through the race.  I am not heading home...YET.  But I know that in a few hours I will be.

You may not be a graduate…YET!

You may not be as healthy as you want to be…YET!

You may not be sober…YET!

Now I realize that nothing is promised to us.  I cannot run a marathon…YET!  That YET is very inspiring to me.  I hope to one day be able to say that I ran a marathon, BUT that is not promised to me. 

The YET is not a promise that your goals will be achieved, but it gives you the hope to do everything in your power to accomplish your goals.

Make a plan, get out there, and start working towards your “YET!”  There is no promise that you will accomplish your goal, but let the possibility of achieving it drive you forward.  Regardless of where you end up, I bet you will reach a lot of “YET”s on the way.



Buzz Ya Later,

Whit

No comments:

Post a Comment